Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Letter #1

Dear Barry,

An introduction and a disclaimer.   I'm a retired Jewish communal professional who labored in the public policy vineyards for 30 years.  Broadly speaking, my vocation's roots reach into the prophetic tradition of Judaism with its commitment to the principle of tikkun olam, the repair or restoration of a broken world.  In secular terms, our efforts were focused on what might broadly be defined as a social justice agenda: first amendment freedoms of speech and religion, safeguarding the wall of separation between church and state, support for a strong public education system, nurturing intergroup and interreligious relations, combating racism and bigotry,  fighting poverty and economic injustice, advocacy for international human rights, assuring the continuing support for Israel as a strategic and democratic partner of the United States, and advocacy for a generous and welcoming immigration policy.

I'd like to believe that, in retirement, I maintain the same general sympathy for the "weak clients" and "voiceless" in our society that I had as a communal professional.  I know that I am still firmly committed to finding ways to address pressing public challenges.  Estimable, high-minded goals are mere rhetoric unless pursued smartly.  Like many Americans, I share your vision of a post-partisan governance, of decision-making that transcends needless political rancor and venal self-interest.  I bristle at the ineffectiveness of Congress to conduct the nation's legislative business.  Subsequent to the failure of Congress to reach a deficit-reduction agreement I wrote on Facebook, "There is much to debate as to what are the necessary next steps to restore and revive trust in our government and hope for the future. But, in the face of these momentous issues, the preening paralysis of our elected officials is both unpardonable and unforgivable."  Both liberal and conservative friends agreed with me.  I know that you share that general frustration, and I want to work with you to overcome it, to point us as a nation in a new direction. 

Now the disclaimer.  Calling my blog "Dear Barry" is not meant as any disrespect for you or the office of the president.  In fact, it is really the opposite.  When I read Dreams from my Father, I was deeply moved by the intimacy and affection for you shown by your Kenyan relatives.  The warmth, high spirits, and unalloyed joy with which they guided your African journey was moving.  While always supportive, subsequent posts may find reasons to engage with you critically, please know that I do so from the same supportive place of your Kenyan relatives.

I look forward to sharing ideas with you between now and the election.

Respectfully,

Larry
January 3, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment